Blog Description

This past summer I went on a 6 week medical observational internship in Ghana, Africa with the Abusua Foundation (an NGO run out of Ghana). I went to gain experience in a hospital and see if medicine is really what I want to do with my life. I lived in the small village of Kwaprow, in the coastal fishing town of Cape Coast. I worked in two hospitals: Cape Coast District (smaller, less modern)and Central Regional (larger, more modern). I also taught English and Science to young children of my village at the BCL after-school program.

While there, I wrote a journal about my experiences in the hospital, teaching at the after-school program, and general life in Ghana. Since being home, some people have expressed an interest in reading the journal, so I figured the easiest thing to do was to post the journal here for anyone who is interested in reading it. Any patient names mentioned have been changed to ensure confidentiality.

It should be noted that because this is a blog site, the postings are in reverse order of when they occurred (which I can't change). So, to read the entries in order you should start from the oldest posts at the bottom of this page.

About Ghana
Ghana is a coastal country in West Africa. The national language of Ghana is English. The capital of Ghana is Accra. Ghana is considered the safest country in Africa (according to global peace index; see Global Peace Index map at the bottom). In terms of development, Ghana is ranked in the middle tier of African countries and 152 out of 182 in the world by the Human Development Index.

Monetary exchange:
$1.40 CAN = 1 Cedi, 1 Cedi = 100 Pesewas





August 8, 2010

I spent this past weekend travelling around the Volta region with some other Abusua volunteers.  The Volta region is located between Lake Volta on the west and Togo on the east and  is known for its beautiful landscapes of mountain, jungle, and waterfalls.
We left Cape Coast at 4:45 A.M. Friday morning (my birthday) and arrived at about 2:30 P.M.  We stayed at the Waterfall lodge, which overlooks the famous Wli (or Agumatsa) falls.  We got settled in the hotel (and had a few drinks to celebrate my birthday) then rested for an early start the next day.
We started on Saturday by visiting some well known caves up a mountain range, outside the village of Likpe Todome.   To enter the caves, we had to scale some sharp cliff faces with only a small guide-wire (or no wire at all) for safety (Figure 29).   The caves were worth the climb up though as they were very interesting inside.  Some even contained bats, which we took a group picture in (Figure 30).
Figure 29. Climbing to the Likpe Todome caves.
Figure 30. Inside the “bat cave”.
We also saw some great views from the top of the mountain (Figure 31), including the neighbouring country of Togo. 
Figure 31. Mountain-top view wiith Oli.
 On the way down we stopped at a beautiful, secluded waterfall (Figure 32).  All in all, the trek took about 3.5 hours.
Figure 32. Likpe Todome waterfall.
In the afternoon. We visited the famous Wli falls, which was extremely easy to access compared to the caves.  The waterfall was absolutely stunning (Figure 33).  I was able to swim at the base of the falls, which was very exciting (Figure 34).
Figure 33. Me in front of Wli falls.

Figure 34. Swimming at the base of Wli falls. Guess which one is me?
On Sunday we travelled back Cape Coast, which took nearly the entire day.  Overall the trip was a lot of fun and full of memories I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment