Blog Description

This past summer I went on a 6 week medical observational internship in Ghana, Africa with the Abusua Foundation (an NGO run out of Ghana). I went to gain experience in a hospital and see if medicine is really what I want to do with my life. I lived in the small village of Kwaprow, in the coastal fishing town of Cape Coast. I worked in two hospitals: Cape Coast District (smaller, less modern)and Central Regional (larger, more modern). I also taught English and Science to young children of my village at the BCL after-school program.

While there, I wrote a journal about my experiences in the hospital, teaching at the after-school program, and general life in Ghana. Since being home, some people have expressed an interest in reading the journal, so I figured the easiest thing to do was to post the journal here for anyone who is interested in reading it. Any patient names mentioned have been changed to ensure confidentiality.

It should be noted that because this is a blog site, the postings are in reverse order of when they occurred (which I can't change). So, to read the entries in order you should start from the oldest posts at the bottom of this page.

About Ghana
Ghana is a coastal country in West Africa. The national language of Ghana is English. The capital of Ghana is Accra. Ghana is considered the safest country in Africa (according to global peace index; see Global Peace Index map at the bottom). In terms of development, Ghana is ranked in the middle tier of African countries and 152 out of 182 in the world by the Human Development Index.

Monetary exchange:
$1.40 CAN = 1 Cedi, 1 Cedi = 100 Pesewas





July 13, 2010


In the hospital today I checked vitals in the male ward, then observed Dr. Kudoh on rounds.  Doctor Kudoh was again very informative. 
A 24 year old patient who suffered from severe malaria, vomited so forcefully that his esophogus and stomach tissue was torn (severe gastritis), causing him to vomit blood and tissue.  Apparently, vomiting after food or water intake is common in severe malaria cases. The doctor calmly instructed the nurses to inject two saline IVs, and wait for a suitable donor (family members) for a blood transfusion.  Dr. Kudoh also pointed out fine, closely spaced scars on the chest of the patient, which he explained were remnants from a traditional healer.  The healer would slice the skin, then apply topical poultices, which could now enter the blood.  Dr. Kudoh said that if the young man had been brought immediately to the hospital when he first turned symptomatic, he would be in much better condition.
Dr. Kudoh showed me a post-mortem chest CT scan of Thom Johnson, which showed an extremely enlarged heart.  Dr. Kudoh said an enlarged heart is a classic indicator of cardiac failure, and he diagnosed Mr. Johnson’s cause of death as cardiac failure based on this information.
I finished early at the hospital, so I decided to teach at the afterschool program, though I was not scheduled to do so.  I had not yet collected the homework assignment designed to gauge the childrens academic level, so instead I taught from the beginning of the text to ensure that the basics of grammar were covered.  This seemed to work fairly well.  It turned out that only a few students had done the written paragraph assignment, but those that had did not seem to have a great handle on basic grammar.  I think I will continue with the grammar basics and move on to more advanced topics if the students seem bored by the basics.
Additionally, I learned from the house cook that the average wage for a working person in Ghana is about 90 Cedi per month.  I spent about 90 Cedi in my first week, I cannot imagine how the average Ghanaian gets by with a 90 Cedi/month wage.

No comments:

Post a Comment