Blog Description

This past summer I went on a 6 week medical observational internship in Ghana, Africa with the Abusua Foundation (an NGO run out of Ghana). I went to gain experience in a hospital and see if medicine is really what I want to do with my life. I lived in the small village of Kwaprow, in the coastal fishing town of Cape Coast. I worked in two hospitals: Cape Coast District (smaller, less modern)and Central Regional (larger, more modern). I also taught English and Science to young children of my village at the BCL after-school program.

While there, I wrote a journal about my experiences in the hospital, teaching at the after-school program, and general life in Ghana. Since being home, some people have expressed an interest in reading the journal, so I figured the easiest thing to do was to post the journal here for anyone who is interested in reading it. Any patient names mentioned have been changed to ensure confidentiality.

It should be noted that because this is a blog site, the postings are in reverse order of when they occurred (which I can't change). So, to read the entries in order you should start from the oldest posts at the bottom of this page.

About Ghana
Ghana is a coastal country in West Africa. The national language of Ghana is English. The capital of Ghana is Accra. Ghana is considered the safest country in Africa (according to global peace index; see Global Peace Index map at the bottom). In terms of development, Ghana is ranked in the middle tier of African countries and 152 out of 182 in the world by the Human Development Index.

Monetary exchange:
$1.40 CAN = 1 Cedi, 1 Cedi = 100 Pesewas





July 6, 2010

I will take this moment to talk about the taxi system in Ghana. There are 2 types of taxis: shared or drop. Shared taxis are like a bus (they go along a fixed route and you get off and on as you please), while drop taxis are like a normal taxi (driver takes you where you want for a negotiated rate). The best bet for getting a shared or drop taxi is to go to a station (Figure 14), but you can also catch a taxi along the road (provided it is not already full). Shared taxis are much cheaper than drop taxis for one person (about a 0.3 Cedi shared = 2 Cedi drop), but a drop taxi may be worth it if you need to get somewhere fast, or you are travelling with a group. The catch with shared taxis is that because you must wait for a shared taxi to fill, the time needed to get anywhere in a shared taxi can vary, depending on your luck with other passengers.
Figure 14. Taxi-station.
Already, driving in Ghana seems as dangerous as I had been warned about.  It is very common to see a taxi and tro-tro driver pass cars using the oncoming lane, while only narrowly missing oncoming traffic.  It is also a common sight to see cars stuck on the side of the road (Figure 15), apparently after swerving to miss an oncoming car. 
Figure 15. Tro-tro ran off the road.
To get to the hospital, I have to take 3 shared taxis and it can take anywhere between 25-45 minutes to get there.
 
At the hospital today, I checked vitals of the patients in the paediatric ward.  As I was about to take the vitals of one girl suffering from malaria, the mother asked if I could wait because her child needed to vomit.  There were no available buckets nearby, so the girl puked on the floor.  All the other nurses and patients acted as if this was no uncommon thing.  I looked around for cleaning supplies, but couldn’t find any.  Finally, I asked whose responsibility it was to clean the vomit.  I was surprised to learn that it is the mother’s responsibility to clean up their child’s vomit.
 
The next child I checked was an 11 year old boy also suffering from malaria.  He was sweating profusely and somewhat delirious, his temperature was 40ยบ C, a dangerously high temperature.  I ran and got one of the nurses.  They said the child had already been given the necessary medication an hour ago and the temperature would soon go down.
After the hospital, I went for a jog around UCC campus to blow off steam, and then relaxed with the other volunteers at the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment