Blog Description

This past summer I went on a 6 week medical observational internship in Ghana, Africa with the Abusua Foundation (an NGO run out of Ghana). I went to gain experience in a hospital and see if medicine is really what I want to do with my life. I lived in the small village of Kwaprow, in the coastal fishing town of Cape Coast. I worked in two hospitals: Cape Coast District (smaller, less modern)and Central Regional (larger, more modern). I also taught English and Science to young children of my village at the BCL after-school program.

While there, I wrote a journal about my experiences in the hospital, teaching at the after-school program, and general life in Ghana. Since being home, some people have expressed an interest in reading the journal, so I figured the easiest thing to do was to post the journal here for anyone who is interested in reading it. Any patient names mentioned have been changed to ensure confidentiality.

It should be noted that because this is a blog site, the postings are in reverse order of when they occurred (which I can't change). So, to read the entries in order you should start from the oldest posts at the bottom of this page.

About Ghana
Ghana is a coastal country in West Africa. The national language of Ghana is English. The capital of Ghana is Accra. Ghana is considered the safest country in Africa (according to global peace index; see Global Peace Index map at the bottom). In terms of development, Ghana is ranked in the middle tier of African countries and 152 out of 182 in the world by the Human Development Index.

Monetary exchange:
$1.40 CAN = 1 Cedi, 1 Cedi = 100 Pesewas





July 28, 2010

At the hospital, I was able to observe a surgery to fix a scrotal hernia. The surgery was very interesting. At one point the anaesthesiologist needed the patient to breathe through an oxygen mask, but the man was not co-operating because he did not trust what was being pumped through the mask. To get the patient to breathe the air, the anaesthesiologist told the man that “white man’s air” was being pumped through the mask. The man immediately began inhaling because, as the anaesthesiologist explained, Africans always want anything the “white man” has. Apparently this trick is used often with patients.

Things at BCL continue to go well.  My typical teaching routine has been to teach a lesson, assign some individual work based on the lesson, take up the work, then do dictation.  For dictation, I give small prizes (pens, pencils, beany babies, etc. that I brought from home) to the winners, which the kids really seem to enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment